Patients often ask – Can you fix an overbite with Invisalign? The answer is yes, you usually can!
Clear aligners, like Invisalign, can improve tooth alignment and correct a range of issues, including overbites. In fact, Invisalign is so popular because it is a nearly invisible way to straighten the teeth with minimal disruption of your day-to-day life.
Before we begin, this is just a quick reminder that not every treatment is right for every person. This article is not a substitute for professional dental care. We provide this information because we found that educated patients are most likely to make good choices for themselves and their families.
Before we cover how Invisalign may be an effective treatment option, it may help to understand a few fundamentals about – can you fix an overbite with Invisalign.
Why Correct an Overbite? Can You Fix an Overbite with Invisalign?
An overbite is also known as a deep bite. The American Association of Orthodontists describes an overbite as a condition where the front top teeth overlap or jut out beyond the bottom teeth when the back teeth are closed.
There are two primary types of overbites, including vertical or horizontal overbites.
- Vertical: The top teeth overlap the lower teeth more than usual.
- Horizontal: the top front teeth jut out in front of the lower teeth.
A small lower jaw may cause an overbite in comparison to the upper jaw. Other potential causes include missing lower teeth or overly strong biting muscles. While it is often hereditary, sometimes habits like childhood tongue thrusting and other dental or skeletal issues make it worse.
It is one of the most common dental misalignments. Some estimate that 70% of people experience some level of overbite ranging from very minor to severe. Dentists often describe an overbite in terms of percentage; a smaller percentage of overbite is common and doesn’t always need correction. However, more severe overbites are as much an oral health issue and an aesthetic one.
Correcting an overbite may have health benefits beyond appearance. Left untreated, a more serious overbite might cause or contribute to other issues, including:
- Headaches from misalignment and tension
- Gum disease and inflammation
- Unnecessary wearing down of tooth enamel
- Jaw pain, mention, and TMJ, and jaw clenching
- Tooth grinding potentially resulting in damaged teeth or premature erosion of tooth enamel
- Development of speech impediments like lisps in children
- Problems chewing or biting
- Altered or less attractive facial appearance
- Mouth Breathing
In the past, you would need to see an orthodontist and get braces to correct an overbite. Sometimes, that is still the case, but your cosmetic dentist or general dentist can often manage your clear aligner or Invisalign treatment. At Southview Dentistry, we opt to offer Invisalign due to its effectiveness and high-quality materials.
Why Invisalign and Clear Aligners are so Popular
Fixing an overbite with Invisalign is a game-changer for many people. Many adults didn’t get braces or orthodontic treatment as a child. Some opt for clear aligners in adulthood because they developed misalignments over time.
Invisalign treatment involves wearing removable aligner trays most of the day. These aligners gently guide your teeth towards an ideal alignment. Your dentist maps out the path your teeth will take towards a more healthy alignment. You change aligner trays as you progress. Your dentist monitors your progress and adjusts the map as needed.
Some benefits of Invisalign over traditional braces include:
- They are virtually invisible, so the wearer feels less self-conscious.
- You can remove them while eating and cleaning the teeth. This means you can eat your favorite foods and brush and floss normally. Metal braces come with additional restrictions to prevent damage to the braces and to maintain dental hygiene.
- Most people find Invisalign more comfortable than metal braces since they barely feel the thin plastic aligners.
- Although you wear Invisalign aligners for 22 hours a day, most people find them less intrusive than traditional braces.
Since each case is different, it can be challenging to give an exact timeframe for how long it will take Invisalign to correct an overbite. However, for most patients, it takes somewhere between 6 to 20 months of treatment. How well you comply with your treatment plan also impacts how long it takes. For example, you should wear Invisalign for at least 22 hours each day. Often patients who wear them for less time than recommended experience delays in their treatment results.
Your dentist will evaluate whether Invisalign is the right choice for you by considering the following factors:
- Your overall dental and oral health
- The severity of your overbite
- Your lifestyle and budget
- How well you respond to the treatment
- Your age
- Whether other treatment options may be more beneficial
- How well you can comply with the treatment program
- Any existing dental treatments or conditions that may contraindicate Invisalign
- Your needs and preferences
If you are uncomfortable or feel self-conscious about your overbite, you may wonder whether you can fix your overbite through Invisalign. The best way to find out is to talk with your dentist or schedule an appointment with a dentist specializing in Invisalign treatments.
Some patients prefer to receive Invisalign treatment from a dentist who also offers general dentistry and cosmetic dentistry and specializes in Invisalign treatment. This has the added benefit of allowing your dentist to monitor your overall oral health in addition to your progress.
Schedule a Consultation
Invisalign can correct a range of dental alignment problems in addition to overbites. For example, it is also effective in treating crowded teeth, underbites, crossbites, issues with tooth spacing, and more. While it isn’t right for everyone, many patients find Invisalign transformative, especially if they avoid braces in the past.
In addition to Invisalign, Southview Dentistry offers a range of effective cosmetic dentistry treatment options. In fact, we specialize in smile makeovers combining two or more cosmetic treatments. We provide general dental care for the whole family, including promoting dental hygiene and overall oral health. Whatever your issue, we are happy to help you learn your options.
Charlotte-area residents trust their smiles to Southview Dentistry. If you are interested in exploring whether Invisalign might be right for you or can you fix an overbite with Invisalign, contact us today to schedule a consultation. We love seeing our patients face the world with a confident smile!