Burning Question: How Long Do Veneers Last?November 10, 2021
What is an Internal Bleaching Procedure and How Can it Improve My Smile?December 28, 2021
Sometimes patients ask whether Invisalign can fix crowded teeth. The good news is that yes, it sure can! In many cases, Invisalign is a very effective option to fix dental alignment issues like crowded teeth.
According to Invisalign, crowded teeth are one of the many issues that clear aligners resolve.
This article is not a substitute for individual care from a dental professional. Always seek individual care from a licensed professional. We believe that an informed patient is an empowered patient.
Before getting into details about how Invisalign helps resolve overcrowding, it helps to understand why teeth become overcrowded and the potential consequences.
Why Do Teeth Get Crowded?
When you don’t have enough space in your mouth for all of your teeth to fit normally, they can shift over time and bunch together or even overlap. Sometimes one tooth might be pushed too far back or forward.
Some possible causes of crowded teeth include:
- Genetic causes like a smaller-sized jaw
- Family history
- Teeth growing in at the wrong angle
- Presence of wisdom teeth
- Hyperdontia or the presence of additional teeth
- Childhood habits like thumb-sucking or mouth breathing
- Dental trauma or accidents
- Large-sized teeth
- Aging since teeth shift over time and jaw bone density often decreases with age
Shifting of teeth can occur after completing traditional orthodontic treatment. It often occurs in the lower jaw in adults, causing bottom teeth crowding after braces. However, this only happens if you fail to use retainers after.
Crowded teeth are more than an aesthetic issue. When your teeth are too crowded, you may have a hard time flossing correctly, resulting in the build-up of tartar, plaque, and eventually tooth decay or gum disease. Also, teeth may continue to crowd and shift, resulting in more severe crowding.
Teeth may be mildly or severely crowded. Depending on the degree of crowding, symptoms include:
- Jaw pain or tension
- Misalignment of the upper and lower teeth
- Frequent biting of the inner cheeks and tongue
- Discomfort when chewing or biting down
- Breathing or speech issues
- Tooth decay and gum disease from compromised dental hygiene
- Higher risk of tooth breakage
Realigning the teeth may improve overall well-being and health depending on the symptoms. A more attractive-looking smile is just one of the many benefits of using Invisalign.
The Invisalign Process
Your Invisalign treatment starts with an examination to determine whether the treatment could benefit you, including a Smile Scan. The scan documents your teeth’s initial alignment. Your doctor will then map out the path each tooth will take towards more optimal spacing and alignment using specialized tools.
The invisible aligner trays are custom-made to fit your mouth using thin plastic. You wear them for 22 hours a day, and you remove them to eat and brush and floss your teeth. You change aligner trays as your teeth shift closer to their goal position.
Your dentist will want to follow up and monitor your progress. Be sure to attend these appointments as scheduled to keep your treatment on track and avoid unnecessary complications.
Many patients see results from Invisalign in just a few months, and the treatment itself may be complete in around one year, depending on the severity of the crowding.
Why So Many People Opt For Invisalign
The Invisalign process was tried and tested with millions of patients over the years. Their proprietary system learns from each patient. So your treatment plan draws from all this information and your own dentist’s expertise.
It remains very popular for a variety of reasons. A few benefits of Invisalign include:
- The clear aligners are discreet and barely noticeable. Adults who may otherwise feel self-conscious about braces often feel happy to wear Invisalign.
- You can eat your favorite foods since you remove the aligners whenever eating or drinking anything other than plain water.
- You remove the aligners to brush and floss your teeth as usual for the most part. There is a tiny bit of extra work in rinsing the aligners and keeping them clean, but overall they are lower maintenance than traditional metal braces.
- Your plan is customized to your mouth, and your dentist schedules regular follow-up appointments to monitor your teeth’s progress and adjust as needed.
- Many patients say they barely notice the aligners once they get used to them and find them comfortable.
- Depending on the issue, some see results faster than traditional braces. Talk with your dentist about your options since every mouth is unique.
Next Steps: Visit a Qualified Dentist
Your first step to better alignment is to schedule a consultation with an Invisalign certified dentist. Your dentist can help you understand whether you are one of the people who benefit from Invisalign treatment. In some cases, additional treatment may be required in cases of severe crowding or when other underlying issues contribute to the crowding.
Please note there are some DIY factory direct, clear aligners that advertise on streaming services, television, and online. Be aware, and the American Dental Association discourages consumers from using these products because re-aligning your teeth is a procedure that should be done with the supervision of a licensed dental professional.
Sadly, so many opt for these DIY aligners believing them to be less expensive. Effective and safe treatment requires ongoing follow-up and adjustment by a skilled dentist.
At Southview Dentistry, our highly experienced team helps Charlotte, NC, residents achieve their best smiles. We love seeing the joy and confidence that come from optimal alignment and healthy teeth. We have proudly served the community since 2006 and specialize in smile makeovers and Invisalign treatment.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about whether Invisalign might be the solution to your dental needs and desires.